THA hosted a webinar on Wednesday, April 26 that discussed the results of a recent study committee with the Tennessee Hospital Association (THA) and the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (TDMHSAS) dedicated to the issue of emergency room boarding of mental health patients. Presenters from the TDMHSAS, THA and hospital members of the committee reviewed newly-developed guidance for crisis services and emergency hospitalizations as well as emergency department treatment protocols for patients experiencing mental health crisis. All Tennessee hospitals were invited to participate in the treatment protocols pilot program, which begins in May.
A recording of the webinar is available here.
The ED Boarding Workgroup Final Report is also available. The report includes:
- The workgroup’s summary and recommendations
- ED treatment protocols (standard and emergency)
- Psych Order Set Combined with Medical Orders
- Crisis system FAQ
- Background data and information
- TDMHSAS medical clearance guidelines for admission to a Regional Mental Health Institute
Note the PDF document includes a bookmark outline with hyperlinks to each section of the report.